Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Irwin Memorial

Steve Irwin, 44, died Sept. 4 from the barb of a stingray while he was filming on the Great Barrier Reef. Last night DH and I watched the Memorial for Steve Irwin on Animal Planet. I totally cried my eyes out for the whole hour. My heart really aches for the loss of such a great person and for his wife and children.
The best part was when his daughter, Bindi read her words to the crowd, running her tiny finger across the paper as she went along. My daddy was my hero," she said. "He was always there for me when I needed him. He listened to me and taught me so many things, but most of all, he was fun. I know that Daddy had an important job. He was working to change the world so everyone would love wildlife like he did.
"I don't want Daddy's passion to ever end. I want to help endangered wildlife just like he did. I have the best daddy in the whole world, and I will miss him every day. When I see a crocodile I will always think of him, and I know that Daddy made this zoo so everyone could come and learn to love all the animals. Daddy made this place his whole life, and now it's our turn to help Daddy."
When Bindi finished, she wrapped her right arm around her mother's neck as a visibly upset Terri held tightly onto Bob.

The memorial was perfect, it celebrated Steve's life and is love of animals. I know people all over the world will remember Steve and his dedication to the animals. I only wished he didn't have to leave so soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We saw that too! It was sad, she is such a cute little girl....

1:56 PM  
Blogger Trina said...

ummmmm time to update your blog missy!!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home